12/08/2015

My Thoughts on Strobing

Over the past week or so we've had some really nice hot and sunny days so I took advantage of this and tried out the new trend that goes by the name of strobing. At first I just thought strobing was just a fancy way of highlighting coz lets be honest there isn't exactly a great lot of difference but since trying the trend out I really like it. So the whole idea is to only use highlighting products to lift and luminise the face. Honestly, it's a lot easier to do than I originally thought as there really isn't a great deal to go wrong as there's no harshness of shadow.

I have always been a big fan of highlighting anyway so this was a welcome new trend and I wanted to bring you the products that I've been using to achieve the look. When applying the products you want to apply them to any place on your face that the sun would naturally hit. So, cheekbones, brow bone, bridge of nose, cupids bow, chin and forehead. I like to do this look when wearing minimal makeup so the face just looks naturally illuminated, so I don't use foundation, just a little concealer for any dark circles or blemishes.

So the products I like to use are as follows:

Soap and Glory Hocus Focus and Dior Glow Maximiser, these are great products to use all over the face as a base for the look. They give the perfect lit from within effect which is ideal for creating this type of look.

Soap & Glory Glow All Out Luminizing Powder is perfect for giving a really subtle highlighted finish. The powder itself is very finely milled so it doesn't give great big lumps of glitter on your face more like a subtle shimmer that just catches the light nicely. I just sweep this over my cheeks and voila. The Topshop Highlight in shade Horizon, is such a lovely warm gold toned highlighter. I have been using this on the high points of my face to highlight and also softly brushed all over my face and it just gives the nicest, natual and subtle glow to the face. A little really does go a long way with this powder as it is really well pigmented. I can't say much more about this highlighter other than I absolutely love it, it is visually stunning in the pan and looks stunning on the face aswell. And lastly is the Charlotte Tilbury Bronze and Glow contour duo, this is what dreams are made of. Obviously this contains the contour shade but I'm more interested in the highlighting shade, which is gold in tone, I love this for the evening as it gives a richer more luxurious finish.

The Clinique Up-Lighting Liquid Illuminator in shade 01 is great for when you're looking to achieve a more dewy finish, you only need the tiniest amount and it gives a lovely gold highlight to the skin. When I want just a bright and natural dewy finish then I head for the No7 Instant Radiance Highlighter, this is a stick form highligher so is really easy and precise to apply. It blends like a dream and gives a lovely illuminated look to the face when applied to the high points.

When it comes to applying these products I really like to try and use my fingers to blend as I find it gives a more natural finish or a fan brush for the powders to give an even finish and application.

So they're the products I like to use and I've actually now come to really like this trend. What do you think?

22 comments:

  1. Great post!
    I am still a little scared to try strobing, finally got used to contouring and now something new comes along! Haha!!
    Definitely going to start with the No7 highlighter. I absolutely love their products.
    Megan
    http://megandoesbeauty1.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product and really easy to use! Xx

      Delete
  2. I'm a little scared to try strobing too as it seems very dewy and I have a rather oily face. I really want to try the liquid illuminator by Clinique! xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it with powders rather than cream based products hun xx

      Delete
  3. I'm loving the Strobing trend atm, I get all those highlighters on my face! Luckily my skin is quite dry, so I go that little extra mile in the glow area! The Dior Glow Maximiser is always on my wish list thanks to you!!! It sounds amaaaaaaaazing!!!

    Jasmine | jasminehardingmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strobing can look really nice when done well. I don't think it works well with heavy base and eye makeup though. The Dior Glow Maximiser has been on my wish list since your guest post. I need it before the summer ends!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I agree, it needs a really minimal base xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the look of a really highlighted/glowy look but I'm yet to try the full extent of strobing just yet! I totally agree that using your fingers gets a much better result.
    Caitie x
    http://www.what-caitie-did.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find using my fingers always gives a better result xx

      Delete
  6. I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I totally forgot about S&G Hocus Focus, I'll have to start using mine again!

    Sara - She Who Is Short

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to attempt to try strobing soon - I'm not too sure though as I have quite an oily face!

    www.beckieeschle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using powder based products rather than creamy ones xx

      Delete
  8. I'm really loving the strobing craze, as I find it a lot easier to pull off compared to contouring! Lovely post and some great products!

    http://oliviaredfern.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of the Dior Glow Maximiser! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the strobing trend. It looks so gorgeous, particularly in the summer! The Clinique Illuminator sounds lovely!

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
  11. Th Topshop highlighter looks stunning and I love the bronze shade in the No7 Instant Radiance :) I'm not sure I can rock a full-on dewy strobed look but I do love a good highlight! xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete